Forum
Accueil

Espace
Membres

Index du Forum -> Les tournois -> Emily Beaudoin: ‘It’s a two-year part of

Voir le sujet précédent :: Voir le sujet suivant  
Auteur Message
aderfp633

MessagePosté le: Jeu Aoû 29, 2013 3:57 pm    Sujet du message: Emily Beaudoin: ‘It’s a two-year part of Répondre en citant

{Emily Beaudoin: ‘It’s a two-year part of your life that’s turbulent’},Michael Kors Handbags
Emily Beaudoin,michael kors canada, 18, has transitioned in the mental health system not just once, but twice.The first time was when she was moved out of pediatric mental health at CHEO into the “youth” system. The second time was when she was transitioned into the adult system at the Royal Ottawa Mental Health Centre.Emily first came to CHEO when she was 14 years old for what she believed was a physical illness. She had low blood pressure and felt fatigued.At the beginning of Grade 10, she stopped going to school because of anxiety and toxic relationships. She became obsessed about avoiding certain hallways. Eventually she had to avoid the cafeteria and entire floors.“It was paralyzing anxiety. I felt like something terrible would happen. It was like I was a house and there was a tornado inside. I had convinced myself that if I went into a cafeteria, I would die.”When her mother came to pick her up at school, she was often wandering around the neighbourhood instead. Once, her mother found her walking down Innes Road in traffic.Emily left school, then worked to get back into another, but found she had the same problems in another environment.“I couldn’t go into a school without breaking down.”At 17, she was reluctantly transitioned from CHEO,Michael Kors Outlet, an interim measure until she qualified for adult mental health care.“If you have diabetes or cancer, you can stay until you’re 18. Not if you have a mental health issue. You build relationships with these people. I had to go and tell my story to another person,” she says.Emily and her transitions counsellor came up with two options — a counsellor at the Youth Services Bureau or a psychiatrist at the Royal. Each had a wait time of between six months and a year.Emily chose the psychiatrist because she had finally found medication that worked. She had first tried SSRIs without success. At about 16, she started taking SNRIs. “It was like the sun had come out of the clouds.”The two-year interim period between the pediatric system and the adult system was difficult. Emily didn’t click with her new social worker and found it was hard to put an effort into a therapeutic relationship.There are a lot of private therapy choices, but her father’s insurance benefits didn’t stretch far. She had $1,000 a year to cover the services of a private psychologist, but that only covered about three sessions.“I felt like the system was to weed out people,” Emily says. “I felt they were trying to see who had more of a serious-enough case.”This was exactly what CHEO researchers noted in a 2011 policy paper titled “We’ve Got Growing Up to Do.” Teens often find that when they move on into the adult system their pediatric diagnoses don’t translate, or their illnesses don’t exceed the threshold necessary to get prompt treatment.CHEO researcher Dr. Mario Cappelli says the prevalence of mental illness has not changed — it’s estimated that it affects between 15 and 20 per cent of children and youth — but the treatments have changed,Michael Kors Handbags Outlet, and so has the uptake of services.
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet    www.badminton-web.fr Index du Forum -> Les tournois
Page 1 sur 1

Sauter vers: